Dri-Eaz is a name that has become synonymous with high-quality consumer and commercial electronics which are made in the USA. Their range of basement and crawl space dehumidifiers are a significant part of their product range and are perfect for ridding your home of moisture and damp.
The Dri-Eaz PHD 200 (also known as the F515) is marketed for both domestic and commercial use, so we’re going to put it through its paces and tell you whether or not it is worth buying for your home.
Features And Benefits
The PHD 200 is specified as being able to remove up to 15 gallons or 120 pints of moisture from the air in 24 hours. This may sound low when compared to smaller consumer dehumidifiers but what you need to remember is that this type of dehumidifier is designed to run for extended periods of time without being attended to and with exceptional reliability.
In addition, this model is rated for spaces up to 15,000 cubic feet in size which will make drying out even the largest spaces quick and easy.
Electronic Display & Control Panel
An easy to read and operate control panel is built into the chassis of the dehumidifier with a useful backlight feature which makes use in low light environments simple. Conveniently, you even have the option to choose from one of four languages if English isn’t your native.
As with any dehumidifier that is worth buying, this model is fitted with a humidistat which allows you to set a target humidity range for the environment you are dehumidifying.
The target level of humidity can be set to between 40% and 90% which should be sufficient for most basements and crawl spaces.
Mold and mildew thrives in damp environments such as crawl spaces, so you should find a setting of around 50% or less should be enough to keep its spread under control.
Operating Temperature Range
Unheated spaces such as those underneath your home are usually much cooler than your home’s interior. For this reason, buying a dehumidifier that wont freeze and will continue to operate when the temperatures plummet is important. This is particularly important for a basement dehumidifier.
The PHD 200 features a temperature range of between 45°F–100° which is sufficient for all but the coldest environments.
Built In Pump (Automatic Pump Out)
One of the most important features is the inclusion of a continuous drainage system. Through the use of a hose, this will allow you to run your dehumidifier continuously without any interaction on your part.
Power Outage Restart
If you should experience a power cut on your property, this unit will restart as soon as power is restored and will continue to operate with the settings originally provided.
Optional Hanging Kit
Many homeowners choose to hang their dehumidifiers from a ceiling or wall. To assist, Dri-Eaz provide built in mounting capability through the use of an optional accessory which will allow you to mount your unit as required.
Particularly important for this type of dehumidifier is a comprehensive warranty which you can rely on. Dri-Eaz offer the following with each unit:
- A lifetime limited warranty on the polyethylene chassis
- A 6 year compressor and coil warranty
- A 1 year parts and labor warranty from the date of purchase
Pros And Cons
The features provided with this dehumidifier are very similar to other competing models. What truly sets a dehumidifier apart is how well they work in practice. We’ve compiled a list of pros and cons which will help you come to a decision.
- Easy to operate. Simplicity is a common theme with this model. Simply attach the drain hose, switch it on and select your chosen level of humidity.
- Powerful. This unit will work efficiently to remove 15 gallons of water from the atmosphere per day. We were able to reduce humidity from 70% to 50% in 2 hours in a 2500 sq. ft crawl space.
- Flexibility. This model can be utilized in almost any environment with a wall socket thanks to its lightweight, space saving design. Perfect for home restoration after suffering from water damage.
- Washable & replaceable filter. The onboard filters are designed to be cleaned or replaced when they become visibly dirty. Simply remove the old one before inserting a new one.
- We have received a report that one customer’s unit suffered from leaks. Rather than an inherent design fault, this could be an issue with the way the drain hose was attached to its outlet.
- Although this model can reduce humidity down to 40%, some users may feel that this is not sufficient. If you feel this may be an issue, we suggest looking at a different model.
A dehumidifier of this type is always going to be a significant investment for many people. We firmly believe that you get what you pay for and this unit is testament to that fact.
It performed admirably throughout our testing period with no issues and was able to maintain the humidity level that we set it to. The automatic pump works efficiently to discard the water the unit collects, and the entire process is completed with only a reasonable amount of noise.
The warranty included with this model is industry leading and is designed to rectify any issue you might encounter during the warranty period. You could also decide to purchase an extended warranty for additional peace of mind.
All of these factors add up to allow us to recommend this dehumidifier to you without hesitation if you wish to rid large spaces of damp and moisture, quickly and efficiently.