Dehumidifiers are one of those items that we all wish we never have to buy, but sooner or later most of us find ourselves in need of. Thankfully, they're simple devices and can work wonders in reducing humidity and ridding you and your home of your mold problem.
A high quality and heavy duty dehumidifier, be it a portable model or a whole home unit, can protect your home from mold and unnecessary humidity. The difference between portable models and whole home ones is that portable models are stand alone and work only wherever they are placed. A whole home dehumidifier, on the other hand, is installed alongside your AC unit or your furnace, and keeps your entire home dry, regardless of its size.
Today we are going to talk about one of the most famous and well-regarded brands of dehumidifier on the market – Aprilaire.
Manufactured in the USA since 1954 to commercial standards, Aprilaire dehumidifiers have been around for decades and in this time they have constantly maintained a level of quality that has been unmatched by a lot of their competitors. In this time, Aprilaire has invented and introduced a wide range of dehumidifiers to the US and the world. The company itself was founded in 1938, but the first dehumidifier of its kind – one with an evaporative, follow-through design – was made in 1954.
Aprilaire dehumidifiers constantly receive praise and high reviews from customers and specialists. Are those reviews accurate, however? Anyone who’s been online for more than a day knows that you can’t always trust a customer product review. That’s why we thought we’d give you our break-down of one of Aprilaire’s newest and most renowned dehumidifier models.
Features And Benefits
If you are looking for a whole home dehumidifier model that doesn’t need to be installed directly into an HVAC system but can operate on its own – the 1850F 95 Pint Whole Home Dehumidifier model of Aprilaire is arguably the best thing on the market right now. The dehumidifier works independently and can be placed in the basement, in any room or crawl space, or in the attic. This model makes an exceptional dehumidifier for crawl spaces due to its high level of performance.
Like all other Aprilaire products, it is manufactured by Research Products of Madison, Wisconsin and is the last in line of more than half a century of dehumidifier innovation.
As a high quality dehumidifier, the 1850F 95 pint dehumidifier drastically reduces the humidity levels inside your home, eliminates any odors, mold, or mildew, and greatly improves the health and comfort of the entire household. What’s more, it can also be programmed to introduce fresh air into your home.
Here are some of the many other features of the 1850F:
- As its name suggests, the Aprilaire 1850F 95 pint dehumidifier has the capacity to remove up to 95 pints of moisture per day. Or, in other words, up to 11 7/8 gallons.
- To put it another way, the Aprilaire 1850F can work in homes of up to 5,000 square feet.
- The 1850F has gone through rigorous durability testing by not just Aprilaire but a lot of independent testers as well. To this day, this model is regarded as one of the few dehumidifiers on the market with the highest quality and longevity.
- A ventilation option is also present. The ventilation feature of 1850F brings in fresh, outdoor air whenever you need it, making your home’s air cleaner in every possible way.
- The impressive longevity of the Aprilaire 1850F is further attested by the 5-year warranty from Aprilaire.
- The 1850F also has the capability of automatically sensing the humidity in your home and working efficiently towards removing it. This ensures that you can leave the dehumidifier working alone and still be certain that it always does its job perfectly.
- For when you want to manually program your Aprilaire dehumidifier, the 1850F is equipped with detailed and easy to use control features.
- The installation itself is also surprisingly simple – the 1850F comes with a clear and easy to use set of instructions that will make its installation a joy.
- As far as one of the most important points for most customers goes – the noise factor – the Aprilaire 1850F scores high marks here as well. The noise levels of the Aprilaire 1850F is no more than 54dB. It is a very quiet machine that is guaranteed not to bother your family and guests, especially if placed in a suitable room or crawlspace.
- For another key point for a lot of customers – the 1850F is also very low maintenance. There are no trays to throw away, no messes to clean up. All you need to do is remove and change the filter of the 1850F once per year – clean, simple, and easy. The filter in question is part number 5443.
- This model, like most other Aprilaire dehumidifiers is also very compact. You won’t have any trouble placing it wherever you want in your home. The physical parameters of the Aprilaire 1850F are as follows: 36 x 13 x 16 inches and 50 pounds of weight.
- This Aprilaire model is not just low maintenance, but also works perfectly fine at low temperatures. The air in your home can fall down to 40°F and the 1850F will still work comfortably. Make sure to turn it off only if the temperature falls below 40°F.
- To further remove your worries about the cold, the 1850F also comes with an Auto-defrost function. This protects the appliance from any possible damage from excessive amounts of ice on the evaporator coil.
- Should any interruptions occur, the 1850F also has an Auto-reset function that will restore it to its previous settings. Temporary interruptions in the power supply won’t mean anything for the Aprilaire 1850F, as once the interruption is over, the dehumidifier will simple restart and continue its precise and flawless work.
- And for those of us that are eco-conscious, the Aprilaire 1850F, like most of their products, is very eco-friendly. Apart from the modest electricity it requires, this Aprilaire device has no harmful effects on the Ozone layer or the atmosphere in general.
- Like a typical whole home model, the 1850F is nearly twice more energy efficient than portable models of most other brands.
Pros And Cons
Now that we've listed the main key points of the Aprilaire 1850F 95 pint whole home dehumidifier, let’s compare its pros and cons:
- The 1850F is highly effective in homes and premises of up to 5,000 square feet. This makes it exceptionally powerful, even compared to other whole home models.
- This Aprilaire model is also much quieter and easily maintained than a typical whole home dehumidifier.
- It doesn’t need to be connected to an HVAC system and can operate independently. This effectively makes it both a whole home dehumidifier and a portable one at the same time.
- It is an overall very compact, comfortable, easy to use model that will make your life healthier and easier.
- The Aprilaire 1850F is one of the most – if not the most – durable whole home dehumidifiers on the market. If you are looking for something that will last you a long time in a perfect condition, this Aprilaire model is up for the job.
- There aren’t many negatives that can be said about the Aprilaire 1850F 95 pint whole home dehumidifier, but its price is something that can deter some customers. Consider paying the high price of the 1850F only if your home really requires such a heavy duty dehumidifier.
- Not only in term of its price, but as a whole, the 1850F is really most suitable for large homes and premises. If your home is significantly smaller, you don’t need to consider the 1850F.
- The model’s 5-year warranty needs to be activated if you’ve purchased it from Amazon. You will need to contact Aprilaire and provide them with the serial number of the unit to activate the warranty.
As you can see, finding and listing any cons for the Aprilaire 1850F 95 pint model is a challenge in and of itself. This exceptional machine can work wonders in any home, especially larger ones. Easy to install, easy to use, easy to maintain, as long as your home needs it – the 1850F will be an easy product to use and benefit from. This model can work in almost all standard conditions and temperatures and barring any accidents, is virtually guaranteed to be with you for a long time.
So, if you are sick of the mold, mildew and moisture in your home, if your health and comfort are being inconvenienced and a portable dehumidifier feels inefficient, if you live in a large home – the Aprilaire 1850F 95 pint whole home dehumidifier unit might be exactly what you are looking for.
If you are looking for further dehumidifier recommendations, be sure to visit our dehumidifier reviews page.